Sunday, June 20, 2010

Please help, need food ideas!


Okay,I need your help. I need to make some cheap, I mean super cheap, meals to get us by through the end of this month. Ever been here,,,,,we still have 10 days left of this month and the money is all gone? Okay, so we are fine, don't worry, we aren't starving or anything.....we just made some financial decisions that tapped us out this month, and I'm trying to be "good" instead of pulling from savings! Having said that and given an official disclaimer,,,,any ideas? Cheap dinners....I'm talking feed the fam for like $3....haha. And remember, no shortcuts...we don't have those here in Turkey (hamburger helper, premade packets, etc...) I'm expecting great things from you...........:) laura

8 Comments:

Blogger mummers said...

First of all, what is expensive in Turkey? What are cheap ingredients? Veggies? Cheese? If we know the kind of things that are available to you at low cost we can tailor-make our recipes.

6/21/10, 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

potatoes with homemade tsatsiki, salad. Potatoes make many main dishes without sides in general. French onion soup is really iwhen you're skipping the white wine.

6/21/10, 9:47 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Tomato lentil soup: fry onion and celery with cumin...add lentils and a can of tomato soup...any scrap of veggie you can throw in...we like to add a sweet potato.

bean burritos go far...

spiced ground beef wrapped in biscuit dough and baked is cheap too..

To sum up: USE BEANS... h a ha

6/22/10, 12:11 PM  
Blogger Zach & Laura said...

Thanks ladies. Mom let's see, veggies are super cheap. Rice is cheap. Bread is cheap. Meat is expensive. Chicken is the cheapest meat.
We don't have celery or sweet potatoes here but I can be creative with the soup holly thanks.
Beans are a good idea, you buy them dry here and have to soak them....I need to invest in one of those pressure cookers one of these days! You can buy canned beans but they are super expensive which defeats the purpose! Do you see my dilemma? Argh. Haha.
What is tsatsiki???

6/22/10, 10:02 PM  
Blogger Zach & Laura said...

OKAY, wait a minute, I just looked up tsatsiki sauce.....now...I learned it is a Greek sauce. I am very offended Marissa. This is actually a Turkish sauce and we call it cicik (juh-jik). Yogurt, cucumbers, and garlic. I actually make it quite often to put as a sauce in some wraps we like to eat. But the Greeks are trying to steal it! How dare they! That is Turkish! :) laura

6/22/10, 10:05 PM  
Blogger mummers said...

Veggies, rice,beans, bread. I'm thinking that stir fries would work, mediterranean, Indian (curries if the spices are available), Mexican, Thai ---- it's all about the spices. Do you have that wonderful bread that is huge, flat, a little bit soft on the inside? I think that's what we had in AU with our friends and it made ANYTHING wonderful that it was served with. Why don't you also hit the Vegetarian recipes online too?

6/24/10, 8:24 AM  
Anonymous bam!chunkle said...

Rice and beans are a perfect pairing for health as well as gettin' that belly full.
I think settling any Turkish/Greek conflict, food or otherwise, is going to require going back quite a few thousand years. Appropriation and renaming of recipes (and many other things) is a time-honored practice.
Beans are most easily readied by always having a batch soaked and on hand. Let the spice make the difference.

6/25/10, 3:51 PM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

Ron can eat red beans and rice with tortillas everyday! I'm a little pickier, but Cooking the rice in chicken stock and sprinkling some lime helps.

6/28/10, 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home