Saturday, February 14, 2009

Chad Harvesting Maple Sap From Inner City Trees

17 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Happy Valentines Everyone! Yes, my husband thought it was yesterday cuz we had a wonderful night out thanks to mom and dad. Wish I had time to make everyone a valentine this year, but I had ALOT of thoughts about it. You are all precious to me.

2/14/09, 6:35 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

You guys rock!
'Little House in the Ghetto' we are all about it. We want to see when you boil it all down too so keep us posted.

2/15/09, 3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This goes down as my all-time fave from ChadStudios.
(No animals were harmed in the makling of this film!)

2/15/09, 5:30 AM  
Blogger Marissa said...

That's right! I like how the guy in the background stops and stares. ha ha

2/16/09, 2:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea what those two white guys were doing in the neighborhood. They must have either been lost, or jehovah's witnesses. I'm serious.

2/16/09, 7:48 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

Hey, dude, where were the black suits and the skinny black ties? I'm voting for lost guys...

Chad, ya know there was a reason that they had "Sugar Shacks" right out there in the midst of the trees. That stuff has to boil for some unbelievable amount of time - like a couple of days - just wanted to alert you in case you wondered why all the wallpaper started peeling off the walls or the kitchen cabinets warped.... :)
I have to admit you do bear a slight resemblance to Pa (he really did have a beard - but they probably didn't want to cover up Michael Landon's face in the series)...and Little House in the Ghetto could be the next blockbuster kid's series --- move over Harry Potter!!!!

2/16/09, 1:14 PM  
Blogger mummers said...

Yum....maple slurple water.

2/18/09, 7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

around here they the j. witnesses dont necessarily wear black suits and ties

and regarding the amount of time it takes to boil, ya, we're aware... last year we did it too, took a few days of boiling, plus we kept pouring sap into the pot as it was boiling so it took even longer

we've got our 5 gallon stockpot boiling downstairs as I write

2/18/09, 8:08 AM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

It's the mormons that wear black pants, white short sleeve shirts and black skinny ties. They also wear backpacks (black) and ride bicycles. (assorted colors) They will inevitably have blonde, close cropped hair and pasty complexions.

Can you tell we live in Mormon central? Second only to Utah.

2/18/09, 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I'm guessing you have Horseback Momos in the neighborhood? Now there's a fine band name.

2/19/09, 6:42 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

I stand corrected on j.witness-wear. In Mexico the j.witnesses were the only ones whose churches were not graffittified (maybe those large black wrought-iron fences had something to do with it) or maybe they had a midnight repaint crew....just a little j.wit trivia for y'all...

2/19/09, 5:23 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

In Germany the JWs are wearing clothes that must have been purchased at the Valpo presbytarian resale shop. They store their magazines in practical wind and weather bags with wheels like trollies (also known as "senior citizen porsches"). But it's true - the church looks clean from the outside, and no graffiti.

2/19/09, 11:40 PM  
Blogger mummers said...

Chad, little did I know that your sap harvesting would actually be the centerpiece of a little teaching session I did with a group of 1st Graders this week. They were all in awe that my grandaughter got to taste the sap.

2/24/09, 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alton Brown informed us last night on the cooking channel that the sap is 2% sugars and 98% water. That's a lot of boiling down to dose those pancakes! But you know that the sap taste was a lo-cal, local treat!

2/25/09, 6:34 AM  
Blogger Zach & Laura said...

Chaddo, I am sad because I can't see your video. Is there any way you can put it on a different site besides youtube. We can't watch youtube videos here in Turkey because it has been banned.

BTW, did you know that I also sapped a tree once and boiled it down. It was a beautiful tree, but after I sapped it, it died. Whoops, That reminds me of the time when I put waaaay too much fertilizer on the lawn trying to make it greener.

z

3/2/09, 9:56 PM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

Dead Grass in stripes - classic Zach!!

That syrup tasted great! I couldn't believe it - do you think you actually cooked off all the diesel and stockyard "particles"?

3/9/09, 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the particles add that special and unique flavor

3/9/09, 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home