Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Turkey Tornado!

Here is a little family update about how things are going. Overall: fine. The murders though are a big deal here. I don't think we truly understand how impacting and significant these last day have been and will be on the future of the Protestant community here. For us, I want you to know that we feel safe. We are in a very good neighborhood, and your neighborhood is everything here. Also, the place where the murders happened, Malatya, is a hotbed for Turkish nationalism and Islamic fundamentalism. This is the same place where the guy who tried to murder the Pope 20 years ago was born. They had received many threats and then the threats were realized.

Ihsan, the Foursquare Pastor, who we are working with, who is the head of the Protestant Alliance, bravely called a press conference where he spoke boldly against certain remarks made by political leaders that were highly anti-missionary and anti-Christian. He said there is a witch-hunt going on against Christians, which isn't too far from the truth.

This sort of strong language isn't abnormal for America, but is quite dangerous for Turkey. This is how you get yourself thrown into the Bosphorus. Since then, Ihsan has hired a lawyer to protect him. There were a number of police at church last Sunday. They are supposedly there for protection, yet in past times they have aggravated church members.

We talked to some 20-year Turkey missionaries and they called this the 911 for the Protestant Community. Everything could change. Maybe it won't and maybe it will. We will watch and see.

I am seeing there are people in government who are almost more anti-Christian then Islamic fundamentalists. This is new to me. It is somewhat similar to living in a communist state. They don't want anyone to proseletyze their faith. Be a Christian, fine, just don't tell anyone about it. It creates disorder in society in their lens. And in reality it does. This is where we see that our faith is not always cozy. God commands us to share our faith. We either obey and create a bit of havoc here or we don't obey and be nominal in our faith.

The church here has boldly said that we will continue to be faithful to what the Bible teaches and we will continue to share our faith. It is the Protestants who say this. The Catholics and Orthodox don't share their faith and so there is no problem with them. So our tiny little Christian community is stirring the nation a bit.

Many people are speaking out against the killings throughout Europe. If Turkey wants to be in the E.U. they have to protect their minorities. So far they have a pretty bad record at it and of course these recent murders don't help.

Spiritually, I see the church rising up and moving in boldness instead of fear. Fear has been the rule, but that foundation is crumbling. Christians are in shock, but they are not cripped by fear. THis is a big thing for Turkey.

Again, we feel safe, and somewhat out of touch with the magnanimity of the recent events. We watch and pray and ask God for wisdom. This is our place for now. So that is just a small echo of the bomb that just dropped a week ago.

We love you all

Zacch

3 Comments:

Blogger mummers said...

It was good to hear from you guys. I have a question though that maybe the more tech-savvy members of the fam can answer. I know that often folks abroad are cautioned to watch the wording of their e-mails. What about blogs? Is this a potential prob?

4/27/07, 7:46 AM  
Blogger Zach & Laura said...

Yea Mom, I think this can be a dangerous thing, and so I do need to be careful, but right now as I see how Ihsan is in the papers everyday speaking against the persecution, it seems like I don't need to worry so much. I still though am not sure exactly where the line is and so I will be careful. Thanks for the heads up.
zach

5/1/07, 11:45 PM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

Are you allowed to sing Jehovah Jireh? I mean over and over. And over.

5/3/07, 5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home