Thursday, October 18, 2007

Friday Night at the Movies

I just happened to catch the link on Holly's blog to their videos. What a hoot! My personal fav has to be the "Raising Chickens in Chicago" one with Chad talking to various government offices (only Chad could make it so funny...). That's my endorsement of the day.

We have solved our housing problem for the Spring down here. We are renting a new house from one of the pastors. The model we viewed was really nice - lots of light, marble, big rooms. However, his particular house was more in the bricks-lying-about-on-the-ground stage. This is not particularily encouraging in Mexico, but the development owner assured us that it would be done by mid-January. (We do have a Plan B). Prayer about this would be nice.

Since we are the only ones this far south, how about sharing some of your "must-dos" or "must-sees" for the fall season. I'm all about living through my kid's experiences on this one.

15 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

It's been doing a lot of snowing around here of late. My seasonal sense doesn't seem to know where to jump in. I've always liked those gray slightly rainy days in fall. Days where you don't feel pressured, or sorry, that your not out enjoying all that fine weather. We made pumpkin soup the other day, I like just about pumpkin anything. They sell thease tiny japanease hybrid pumpkins here which are the pefesct size for two. I think they're called "Hakaido".

10/20/07, 5:12 AM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

Just made pumpkin soup too! Yum!

We're having a weird warm streak here so all of our pumpkins have molded/collapsed!

I'm a fan of crunching in leaves. Driving down tree-lined streets smelling a campfire is pretty great.

But my dream moments always seem to surround the hazy glory of Anderson's Orchards in Valpo. Hot cider, crunchy cinnamon sugar donuts, the wet, sharp smell of leaves and apples and cinnamon candy balls. The visual glory of so many gourds.

Ghost pumpkins - Have you seen these? Grey and strange and cool a'la Martha Stewart.

10/21/07, 8:55 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I'm dying for those disgustingly sweet candy pumpkins. I think they're officially refered to as mellowcreams.

10/22/07, 9:38 AM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

Just finished off a bag of those last night! I like them slightly stale.
We've had two snows in the midst of our beautiful fall, which is going too fast as it always does. The trees have all poured out their leaves so we are facing the complete lack of color that will last until spring.

"my favorite color is light tan"
-sister Acension, Nacho Libre

I like those drizzley Fall days too. good for books, hot cider, quilts and a really good soup simmering on the stove.

10/22/07, 10:48 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

Speaking of candy pumpkins, do you guys remember the picture of your Dad holding "his" dessert at the Thanksgiving dinner our Valpo buds threw for us before Africa? A HUGE platter with a central compote of candy corn surrounded by row upon row of candy pumpkins and Pumpkin Peeps. It was enough to throw you into insulin shock just looking at it!!!

10/22/07, 3:21 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

now we're talking...

10/23/07, 8:14 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Chitown has been really warm too, today is chilly with the smell of something burning...however i don't think its fall leaves from the sound of the firetruck going by--ahhh...the ghetto. I did make gingersnaps today--the soft chewy kind. Carving the pumpkins is set for saturday--im not into the green glitter pump of MS...although i admired the tediousness of her handmaid silk leaves!

10/24/07, 9:36 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Matt...is there a christmas candy you love? ive already seem tmas stuff and could get you some by december, im sure!

10/24/07, 9:37 PM  
Blogger Zach & Laura said...

oh man, you are all making me completely jealous that I am not at "home" during this time, MY FAVORITE time of year. The Fall. AAAHHHH. No candy corn here, no beautiful mounds of gourds, NO PUMPKINS! How can I make pumpkin soup? Or roast pumpkin seeds? Oh the welf of grief is rising in the pit of my stomach. Okay, okay, enough of that. But, I am still jealous. Luckily, the leaves are falling here, and Isabelle and I have picked up some to put on our table. And I did find one orange candle to feel like home. I've officially decided next time I'm in the states I have to buy some "decor" for each holiday season cuz heck I'm not going to find it here and I need it for my well being! America truly revolves around holidays, and here, all the holidays are Muslim ones. Luckily, we have almost one suitcase full of Christmas stuff...our stockings, decor, and all of Zach's ornaments growing up in his little box with the list. He could never part with that! His favorite to this day is his 1st christmas of Paddington Bear! It always receives a place of honor on our tree.
But Mom, I imagine it must be hard for you, due to the fact that you don't even have fall weather to create some atmosphere!

10/24/07, 11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was 92 here today. Thats warm. I think the leaves would be falling right now if there were trees here. Alas, to the beach I go.

10/25/07, 1:05 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

I settled in the other day when it was overcast (THE WHOLE DAY!) and perused my Autumn Cookbook by Susan Branch - watercolorist/cook extrodinaire. Not only are her recipes mouth-watering but her illustrations are so dang cute! She peppers her pages with quotes such as: "No more turkey, but I'd like another seving of that bread he ate." -Anon and "If a man watches more than 3 football games in a row he should be declared legally dead." -Erma Bombeck Miss Susan helps fill the void of fall-less Fall --- and I change my desktop to a new fall scene every week! You gotta do what you can do and if all else fails, go to the beach like Nat! :)

10/25/07, 4:55 PM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

Nat, you're a pill.

10/26/07, 5:54 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

I had to draw the wierdness line at Martha's green glittered skeleton and thigh bones displayed tumbling artfully out of a cauldron or whatever it was ...

10/27/07, 2:23 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Hols-candy canes

10/28/07, 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bro-ill see what i can do ;-)

10/29/07, 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home