Monday, October 08, 2007

Ah Birthday Cake!


So, Isabelle is officially 2. We had a Curious George Birthday party that was a hit! The party was yesterday and Isabelle has been continually asking for cake all day today. I didn't think she even knew the word! She wants cake, cake, CAKE!!! It got me thinking, what is your most fav birthday treat? What would you want set before you eyes to enjoy and consume? Mine is sad: plain old yellow box cake with canned milk chocolate frosting. Oh man, it doesn't get any better than that! Okay, okay, maybe Mom's blueberry pie can beat it! :)
laura

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my fav (and you can buy all the ingredients at aldis!)

one huge can of peaches
one box cake mix
butter

pour the box cake mix and butter in pan
put the peaches in
bake it

yum yum

(or maybe you put the peaches in first i cant remember)

10/8/07, 11:29 AM  
Blogger Nathanael said...

Rainbow chip icing. No cake needed

10/8/07, 2:10 PM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

laura I'm with you. yellow cake thick, cold, chocolate frosting.

ORRRRR

Cake batter ice cream from Coldstone. Dear ones....

10/8/07, 4:05 PM  
Blogger mummers said...

Home-made cherry pie that had a crust so flakey & light (lattice top, of course so the sweetly sour cherries could sort of ooze up through it) made by Hansie, my friend across the street who was the age of my grandmother. That woman was a wizard in the kitchen and her pies were sheer heaven....

10/8/07, 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spinach lasagne - and a different cake every year.

10/9/07, 2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Hansie ...wow. Pie and garden queen. I'd forgotten.
Living with a baker extraordinaire, it's hard to pick a favorite. Currently partial to Dutch apple pie, or any apple pie. Enough so it can be had plain one day, with ice cream the next, and maybe round off with a slice of cheese on day three.
No wonder I have to work out, with fantasies like that.

10/9/07, 6:21 AM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

Oooooh- mom's french silk pie. they last forever because you can only have a sliver at a time. The most perfect breakfast.

although my favorite birthday cake was the one mom made with the 'my little pony' drawn in icing on it. with a rainbow in back. and gently waving grass.

man I loved that cake.

10/9/07, 7:01 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Happy Birthday Little Is! I knew it was around her somewhere early Oct. How did you celebrate?

Matthew's death by chocolate, i don't know what its called..is tops for me I think. Like eating fudge and calling it cake.

10/9/07, 8:24 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Happy Birthday Isabelle!

I like variety too, although, Marissa makes a Rum bomb that's pretty amazing.

10/10/07, 5:43 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

That's a cake.

10/10/07, 5:43 AM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

Although Marissa does have some "mad skills"...

Matthew do you even remember Gramma S's Rum Balls? One year she made them with some crazy imported Rum with an off the charts alcohol content. I remember opening the tin and my eyes watering with the fumes. I believe mom scurried me away from those cookies quickly.

10/10/07, 7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, Burning Eye Rum Balls. I wonder if I have that recipe? My guess is she used some 151 that year. It wouldn't even have to be top shelf booze to provide that toxic cloud at tin-opening.
Yeah, eating those was more than just noshing.

10/10/07, 7:46 AM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

I love the B.U.R.B. title - Now THAT'S a Halloween treat!

How could I forget French Silk? Divine perfection. Parents would take slivers and kids-well, as much as we could fit on our plates.

10/11/07, 5:31 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I do have some sort of loose associtiaion with Grandma Schreiner and rum but the details are foggy. Maybe that's due to one's eyes watering from fumes...

10/11/07, 9:49 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

I can still remember thinking that one Christmas - "This is the first time I ever got a buzz off a .... cookie." The funniest part was that she didn't even realize her rum was so potent - she just thought it was "really fresh." Yo Mama!!!!

10/11/07, 12:44 PM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

Rum bomb- I pretty much like any dessert with the word "bomb" in the title.

10/16/07, 2:02 PM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

...or "explosion".


DO you guys remember when we'd have a spontaneous baking time and throw whatever we wanted into a pan and cook it? I remember one of the boys frosting the most DISGUSTING cookie ever and giving it to dad.

10/26/07, 6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home