What in the world????
One thing I find gravely disturbing: matching shoes, purse, belt, watch, matching everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHH! I went shopping with my oh so rich apartment owner and good friend, and sat in Nine West as she picked out a load of new shoes. She put me in charge of finding the matching purse...because it was a sale everything was picked over. I tried so hard to find the right purse, sometimes I was close, the same shade of gold and all, but NO she said. It has to be the exactly right purse that was made to go with the shoes, or the shoes were out! And then, if we could find the matching belt, it was bliss. I found this rather odd. This whole matching thing is driving me crazy!!
laura

8 Comments:
Good! In my never humble opinion, the whole matching thing is a symptom of social ill. Not that you cannot use an artistic eye in garbing yourself, yielding a pleasant picture to view. That's just nice for your friends and neighbors and your mirror ego. But the "GOTS TO MATCH!!!" moment you speak of is more the lockstep fashion mania that drives a shallow industry forward on a seasonal basis. Do you, then, NEVER wear/carry/use those items unless as a set? They will certainly last longer that way but they won't last as "FASHION!" So they will collect dust or end up at the thrift store or at the landfill.
Wow, this is a TALL horse!
I'm with you. I think matching can be fun\funny in a kitsch sort of way,(I like the toungue and cheak curtains match the wallpaper look actually) but the second it 'has' to be, it looses all it's appeal. It should be fun people...
Having lived through those "matchie-matchie" times in the U.S. all I can say is ---- Hallelujah! FREEDOM! Though I must admit we never got quite so far as the "made to go together" look. The question is, can you walk the streets with unmatching shoes and purse and not get tomatoes thrown your direction?
I would like to hear Mary Bowman's opinion in this matter...
Sis, are you asking ME the tomato question? This is Portland, and the answer is, "Of course, I can!" The shoes don't even have to match each other here. Now THAT'S freedom.
Marissa, I do believe that Mary's perspective is "diamonds cover a multitude of sartorial sins i.e. mis-matching". Of course one can solve the entire problem by just wearing one color - Pink.
OR BLACK.
As much as Matthew and Marissa chime in on this I was surprised to find them wearing matching windsuits and tennis shoes when I visited last year. It's one thing for a single person to be adorned head to toe in pink but two?!! You two aren't fooling anyone!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home