Monday, January 03, 2011

RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms

I came across this on fb and was stunned with his ideas. What do you guys think?

5 Comments:

Blogger wyofaith said...

I think he makes some generalizations that are faulty and some assumptions that are his, and should be thought of as so, not truths like they are presented. BUT I do like the direction he is moving in as far as thinking about learning is concerned. I have a VERY narrow perspective on methods of teaching: ie how I see our Meeteetse school function. And actually, this reinforces my support for our school. I think they are really current on methods of learning and diversity of teaching methods within the classroom. I honestly think most of the problems he is talking about occur when there are too many students in a school. Too few schools trying to teach too many students. In a school like ours with a MAX of 15 students in a GRADE, teachers can be very flexible to meet individual students needs. But, I am also living in a "white" state- I hate clinical ADHD status in schools and I agree that some one on one, varied teaching styles within a classroom would probably cancel so many of these 'medicated cases'. I don't know of any of our students are being medicated for ADHD- I think its a way for teachers to have control with less effort- which isn't their fault if they have too many students in their class!
That's my two bits- interesting video made even more so with the cartooning!

1/3/11, 6:35 PM  
Anonymous UpperLeftUncle said...

Wow. That's a very broadly cast net, there, cowgirl!
The truth of the matter is that you live in a very idyllic scene, education-wise. The majority of our student population attend schools that are over-crowded, understaffed and underfunded. It's true, many of our education maladies could be remedied by smaller classes and one-on-one education. Currently, there are few schools where this is the governing program. They are generally private and very costly to attend. (The exception being small rural schools that are fortunate enough to attract gifted, committed, and likely underpaid, teachers) For the rest of the nation, it's obvious which kids get to go to the better schools and what percentage of our nation's kids attend these awesome schools.
It's been going on for a long time now ... long enough for voting age people to be a part of the problem. Until we vote for education over world domination, we will be sending the bulk of our nations wealth into the past instead of into the future.
I'm done with this soapbox. Anyone else want to use it?

1/6/11, 7:10 AM  
Anonymous chad said...

I'm with upperleftuncle

take the school near our house. the classes are huge. the teachers are burned out. the kids come to school dirty, hungry, and tired (we see them playing outside at 11pm and midnight on school days while the parents get all coked out inside). I'd love to take some of the $ spent on world domination and pour it into helping these kids. And their parents. (with effective programs, not pointless garbage)

1/6/11, 7:27 AM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

I'm realizing more and more what we have in our (very) small school. Our teachers are actually paid among the best because: less people=less schools=more government funding to spread around.
I agree too that education unfortunately is bottom rung in importance as far as economics go, yet is top rung in importance as far as our future goes.

1/9/11, 3:02 PM  
Anonymous kunklefran'n'jolly said...

There's a nail and I believe you've pulverized its head!

1/12/11, 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home