Saturday, May 12, 2007

culture


Laura and I have been saturated with culture this past month. Missions guru's call this stage the hyper-sensitivity stage, where nothing is routine, nothing is easy, and every thing that is different jumps out at you.

We are in constant comparison mode and so my question for all of you is "What is one thing you love about American culture and one thing you could do without?"

I will respond in regards to Turkey. One thing I love is that the Turks are incredibly kind towards our little Isabelle. People off the street are always giving her something, candy, flowers, crackers, sugar cubes. You name it, they give it. One thing I could do without is the smoke. Turks love to smoke and so it seems like we are forever in a cloud of smoke.

The picture is one of a local Turk giving some flowers to Isabelle.

your brother

zach

11 Comments:

Blogger mummers said...

I love the fact that you can choose from any type of ethnic cuisine when you go out for dinner in a lot places in the U.S. It disturbs me a bit (at the same time comforting me) that wherever you go in the world you can find all of our chain restaurants - not the mom & pop places, but the moguls. I don't see other countries exporting their chains like we do. (Since we left last March they've built an Applebee's a stone's throw from La Vina down here...did we leave VCFValpo or not??)

5/12/07, 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

American what, now? "American culture"? I don't often think of those two words together. What have we done, now? We made Jazz. (Well, our African American constituents did) Blues. (Same caveat) Cajun life came to us via Nova Scotia and France. We have blugrass music. (Oops, those pesky Scottish people who settled in the eastern mountains)
Darn!
Ooh, ooh! I've got it!
Fish sticks! Cigarettes! Immeasurable waste!

Gee, I guess I woke up all Michael Moore-ey today.
Happy Mothers Day, all you Mommy's!

5/13/07, 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everyone else in the world who has been to the U.S. would definitely say there is an "American" culture. (or, for you canuks, we should say a "United States" culture). Not in the sense of "That person is so cultured" but more in the sense of "Those two people are having a cultural conflict"

think WASP and you'll be getting close to what most of the world considers "american" culture

5/13/07, 8:44 PM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

I love the convenience of the US. If I need childrens Tylenol at 2 am, I can make the run.

I dislike how neighbors don't really want to be neighbors here (most times), there isn't the slowness of culture that seemed to allow for the 1950's interdependance.

I love the culture of creativity and options in the US. If you have a dream and work hard - you really do have more options.

5/15/07, 6:41 AM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

Like- all the stuff
Dislike- all the stuff

The typical tension Americans live with everyday.
Make of it what you will.

5/15/07, 11:41 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I like the politeness of American culture, all the smiling.
I don't like how trend-oriented the USA is. Everyone thinks we're this country of individuals but I haven't found that to be true.

5/16/07, 1:22 PM  
Blogger holly said...

i dont think its individual in the sense of unique/original but more like "don't be up in my business" or "don't let me be beholden nobody" as Pa Ingalls said.

5/16/07, 9:03 PM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

I like the fact that Americans are generally willing to fight the system if they don't like it. I think it's pretty exagerated where I live, but Americans as a whole aren't willing to just sit back and take it. Even if it's pretty well hidden, there's a spark of rebellion in everyone.

5/17/07, 8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

things I like about American culture:
curried chicken, tortillas, italian sausage, chile arbol, soul food, jerk chicken, and those supposed bratwursts that you can buy at aldis that are actually just giant hot dogs.

5/18/07, 12:16 PM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

What is chile arbol and why haven't I tried it?

5/31/07, 7:14 PM  
Blogger mummers said...

Doesn't "chile arbol" translate to "chile tree"?????

6/7/07, 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home