Turkey-Lurkey
Hey everybody - Happy post Thanksgiving? Was I the only one (besides Faith) who didn't call anyone? So sorry.
I really missed you all yesterday and thought of you as we whipped up the Turkey day delights. It was so fun and active! We packed 7 adults and 6 kids into our kitchen and laughed till we were sick. Felt a little like home. Funny how at our table, as the conversation turned to family, I realized that only 2 of us had unbroken homes without truly tragic and painful childhoods. One friend actually stopped me to share how this was the first Thanksgiving she had ever had that felt like what she dreamed they could be.
We are soooooo blessed as we all know. I love you guys - and for each of our brother and sister in laws who round out, complete, make fun of, deal with and love each Balon. You are GIFTS and family BY CHOICE. I love ya! Have a great black friday - did anyone venture out to shop at 4 am?
I really missed you all yesterday and thought of you as we whipped up the Turkey day delights. It was so fun and active! We packed 7 adults and 6 kids into our kitchen and laughed till we were sick. Felt a little like home. Funny how at our table, as the conversation turned to family, I realized that only 2 of us had unbroken homes without truly tragic and painful childhoods. One friend actually stopped me to share how this was the first Thanksgiving she had ever had that felt like what she dreamed they could be.
We are soooooo blessed as we all know. I love you guys - and for each of our brother and sister in laws who round out, complete, make fun of, deal with and love each Balon. You are GIFTS and family BY CHOICE. I love ya! Have a great black friday - did anyone venture out to shop at 4 am?

23 Comments:
it took me 45 minutes to drive to the nearest wal-mart. I joined three hundred other people in line at 4:00 am and threw plenty of elbows in search of reduced prices on socks for Uncle Rick. OOOps the secrets out! I think I might of even stepped on a babys head but I saved $1.37 do it was worth it.
Your one friend's comment choked me up. I hate to think of all the homes where the holidays are not filled with laughter, food, fun, family joking ... love. I know when you and Levi open your home it becomes a place for people to get a little glimpse of how it CAN be.
Somewhere in a great big city there's a dude in a cramped, little office rubbing his hands together and saying to himself, "Next year, 3 a.m.!!!! Heh-heh-heh..." Nat, here's a hint - knit those socks and you get to sleep in!
Nat ... save your money! You take these gifts to Germany and we're even, 'kay?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never worked so hard and risked my life for a gift!
Okay, whose 'tache did you rip off?
Geraldo's???
True Confession: I completely missed Thanksgiving. I was sitting at school and realized around 5 or 6 that it was Thanksgiving day. It's strange completely leaving out a major holiday.
Shoot, Matthew, you might have done that stateside, as well. Christmas consumerism has overrun Thanksgiving to the point that only your local grocery store with it's turkey sale keeps it in the public eye. OK, so maybe I don't watch sports, so the "big game" didn't affect me like it may have the rest of the populace. The one day off was what cemented it for me.
Being removed from any references though ... I can really see how that might happen. Were you alone when you realized it?
No, I was on the tram with some schoolmates when one of them mentioned that they were invited to eat turkey that night at a friend's house who had lived in the States.
Then it clicked.
why did nobody call and remind us? we almost cried when we found out.
almost!
Who else remembers last year's rotten meat smell? (Holly had successfully defrosted the Turkey.)
So, Marissa, I guess you'll just have to watch the mail for the Christmassy giftingness.
Turkey always smells like farts cooked or uncooked. Ron recieved a verbal warning from a copper as he was racing to WalMart, dome light on, phone in hand, driving with one knee on the steering wheel, searching the sale paper on the passenger seat. thank God he didn't run someone over on the way.
Not that he would have noticed
this was all at 5:00 am.
The kicker is they filled up a whole cart only to have it stolen while they weren't looking.
Ron always loves a good deal on a fur lined flannel. I'm a little surprised the whole family didn't spend the night in the parking lot. I heard there were $4 DVD's!!!
I will never forget the smell of last years turkey....never.
one of my thanksgiving highlights this year was 3 year old bethan calling my dad her "huggie boy"
Matthew for some reason I thought you were cooking something this year - a goose or a duck. Was that last year? Am I pre-menopausal?
By the way, the local "Hot item" here is a video interactive game called Guitar Hero. Naturally, I'm a game-mocker - but watching it being played by 2 VERY excited adult men on a theatre screen was something else. Everyone gets a guitar and you have to play chord buttons quickly while watching Metal heads and popdivas battle it out. After an hour, i was watching non-stop.
By the way, last night I sang Karaoke for the first time. Check that one off the lifetime fear checklist! I was truly awful. Cross between a squeaking balloon and a bleeting sheep.
THe Day after TDay, I was in the car with Chad and his dad and said excitedly, "Now I KNOW you all are dying to hit the mall today!" Dead silence.... Longing for the sisterhood kicked in at that point.
I think I have Turkey fear now after the fart experience. However, I remember the heroism of my brothers swift decisive action...I think I was in shock and couldn't cook a thing. They saved the day!
Bethany,
What did you sing?
I'd buy the video, Beth. I think the last time I heard you sing was "This is our Story 1990" or Godspell.
No, no waterfowl this year. It's really just as well seeing as how our oven is broken and can only cook things at 500 degrees.
M - don't tell me Marissa isn't baking????? Can you still rock the 350 degree for 8 min spritz cookies? Or so you make kuchen? Is that a dessert or a noodle?
My hideous "singing" was the worst rendition of the Police' "(Every Little thing she does is)Magic". I had the sick realization as they scrolled through the music that the only words I actually knew were from songs from the 50-60's. Total music retardation. Luckily, Levi played the Police for most of our cross country trips... Only Holly's junior high clarinet playing could have made it worse.;)
So, we had a very nice Thanksgiving. We had some South African's, a Brit, a Spaniard and a Turk over. A nice little United Nations Summit. Laura did a great job and I ate about 5 plates. All in all: It was good.
zdogger
I broke down yesterday and started baking Christmas cookies, with very strategic on and off turning of the oven. Success!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home