A question for you to answer.
I just wanted to get some feedback on something I've been studying lately. Do you (everyone) believe that the first church was a model for how true christianity was to be lived? I'm interested to know how you all feel on this one.

16 Comments:
To clarify, what are the basic elements consider to exemplify the early church? or in your opinion?
In a general sense the early christian church exemplified the very first religion free of Holy temple, holy priesthood, and holy sacrifice. What that means to me I don't know yet. When Jesus came he ended all three. The first group of christians (church) were more of an organic entity that met in house churches no larger than thirty five people or so. They existed like this for three hundred years. In my reading the authors are using this idea as a foundation upon which to draw conclusions on the history of the church and where we should be headed.
I don't think He did away with them. He calls us a royal priesthood, and we are to be living sacrifices, both holy and pleasing to God. I'm not sure about the Holly Temple deal, but I think there is a big difference between "doing away with" and "fufilling". He brought the true meaning to what they were all pointing to.
I think that the way that the 1st church chose to live christianity was a great and very necessary example but I don't think it was the all-times model for every culture until the end of time.
I guess for me the question is more like, "Is it necessary to have a specific church model for us to live out our faith?"
The Bible gives us outlines for living out our Christianity but as to the church form, little is specified, or? I would have a very hard time saying that the early church is the one TRUE church model.
These are all very good thoughts. For me, the early church is definitely a good model. But, the early church wasn't necessarily designed by God Himself as the MODEL. It was simply a group of people responding to Christ's death and ressurection and coming together. It was a specific time and very different culture! For some reason, God chooses to work WITHIN culture. Sometimes I wish he would supercede it but He doesn't! So each culture looks different. BUT, the fruit of the Spirit should always be the same and I loves Acts 2:42, they spent time together, ate together, learned together, prayed together. That is what it is all about, now and then. I think Paul's letters really help us see what and how the church should look!
laura
I guess i'm also questioning the cultural validity of the
worship-announcements-offering-sermon-prayer routine that makes up the general majority of most current protestant churches. This model has been in place for nearly five centuries and I just wonder if it fits for right now. I know it sounds a little out there but I don't think it hurts to contemplate.
Hey bro,
I definitely think there is room to try out a new order for church or throw it all to the side and do something totally different. Traveling to a number of different countries and seeing church happen, I would definitely have to say that I am not too rigid on what it looks like. I think if God is praised, people are becoming more like Christ, and the believers are in unity, then you are in a good place.
There are so many different variations out there it is ridiculous, but I think it is ridiculous in a good way. Some people criticize other churches because of this or that,, but often it is just a result of the culture of that area.
zdog
I don't know that i think that you could pick *anytime* in the churches history and choose it as the "model". even though i am a big proponent of the methodology of "small organic" church. there is so much other "questionable" material that just doesn't float in today culture. same with other times.
but then again, i don't think a lot of mega-churches "float" in our culture today either... ;)
geuss i could say "wow, great question. I have no idea but let me know when you find out!"
LOL!
levi
Just out of curiosity... Has this question anything to do with you growing out your facial hair and calling yourself "Lucas" now?
i'm sorry, Lucas my roomate was signed in to google when I commented. The question is definitely tied to my beard though. They call me jesus around the lofts now because I've been building things for people. To change the subject let me pose another question, does anyone feel that the sermon and worship must be present on sunday morning?
Laura has a good point in the church as a response to Christ's death and the coming together. I think a church model is wholly secondary to the internal model that Christ put forth. There is a value to like-minded spirits conjoining in belief, but it cannot come before the true residence within the individual soul.
I do think there should be some form of worship. NOt necessarily three fast two slow music, but some way for all gathered to enter into a corporate worship/praise of God. I also think it is healthy to have teaching from the scripture to encourage deeper knowledge of the word. If it's what we believe, it's what we should know.
StrangebutWonderful Uncle and I are on the same page. WE are the church - what we do when we celebrate together depends often on the culture we're in. It does help to visit other places in the world and sample their expression of worship, learning, prayer. So I think there is room for other ways of doing the corporate thing. It's the internal change of laying our "I-want-to-do-it-MY-way" down for "I-want-to-do-it-YOUR-way", Jesus.
DAD says....
One working definition of a Christan church is "A group of people for whom Jesus Christ is Savior and Lord" In terms of style, I believe form has followed function ie the things thought to be highly functional in terms of value to the church eg. worship, bible, ministry, even announcements and offerings, prayers etc. have become a part of church "style"....a way of "doing" church. I believe their is room for flexibility, and creative options in terms of church style. A church may have it's own personality, emphasis, flavor, order of events etc...while I have my preferences...I enjoy the diversity.
Frankly, If there is not a full color bulletin, how can you call it church?
Hee-hee...
Worship, for me, seems to be a natural outflow of contemplation. To be able to sing, dance, or just sit and let my heart "sing" back to the Father just happens naturally.
It's very similar to when I see something mindblowingly creative or am outside in the stillness. I get quiet and excited and something just wells up to say, "Can you believe THIS!?!" It's a joy to be with others that want to dig into aspects of life together - but spiritual too?? It's the ultimate!
Have to? No way. I liken it to some Chinese Christians who aren't allowed to worship out loud together - they gather and literally mimic the words with no sound coming out. They enjoy and feel that it is important - they WANT to. Maybe just for encouragement of each other...?
Sometimes its good just to take a prolonged break away from Western ways to do church. You might want to take a look at "Reimagining Spiritual Formation" by Doug Pagitt or "Blue like Jazz" for some interesting takes.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home