Friday, October 16, 2009

We're a character

I fumbled across a guy who calls himself "balon" on his myspace after a character he loves with that name. Historical sci-fi?

Here's the quote: " To those of you who may be in the dark, the name Balon is an uber-nerdly reference to a character from George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire fantasy novel series. Balon Greyjoy is a personal fav character of mine, so the name (and incedentally, the picture) are an homage to Mr. Martin and his creation. Allow me to sum up with a quote from A Clash of Kings:

"What is meant is what is said. The boy will give me a crown. And what is given can be taken away." Lord Balon tossed the letter on the brazier, atop the necklace. The parchment curled, blackened, and took flame.

Theon was aghast. "Have you gone mad?"

His father laid a stinging backhand across his cheek. "Mind your tongue. You are not in Winterfell now, and I am not Robb the Boy, that you should speak to me so. I am the Greyjoy, Lord Reaper of Pyke, King of Salt and Rock, Son of the Sea Wind, and no man gives me a crown. I pay the iron price. I will take my crown, as Urron Redhand did five thousand years ago."

Theon edgedbackward, away from the sudden fury in his father's tone. "Take it, then," he spat, his cheek still tingling. "Call yourself King of the Iron Islands, no one will care... until the wars are over, and the victor looks about and spies the old fool perched off his shore with an iron crown on his head."

Lord Balon laughed. "Well, at the least you are no craven. No more than I'm a fool. Do you think I gather my ships to watch them rock at anchor? I mean to carve out a kingdom with fire and sword..."

Balon's the man, man."


Kind of weirdly fun, eh?

5 Comments:

Anonymous unclecritic said...

Please, as quickly as you can, do everything in your power to divorce your good name from this alleged "prose!"
I nearly expired trying to read my way to the end of it, all out of respect for your good name.
Not that I'm judging, or anything.

10/17/09, 7:32 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

Balon needs a good shrink.

10/18/09, 10:44 AM  
Blogger levi fuson said...

what the hell are you doing when im not home?

10/19/09, 8:52 AM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

I remember something like this happening when I ate Dad's hershey bar and left the wrapper in the freezer. The similarities are just uncanny.

10/22/09, 9:46 AM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

wouldn't you all like to know...

11/2/09, 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home