Saturday, January 08, 2011

The Christmas Closet
















I only meant to lob the kitchen Christmas stuff up in the closet and then .... my eye caught one of the "inscriptions" left upon the ceiling of the closet. One more step on the ladder and I could see the writing just beyond the first one. Somehow I found myself wedged in next to Zach's reindeer Christmas card holder and an 18" nutcracker....on my back with a flashlight (thanks to Dad), legs dangling into the space over the entryway. I am SO sentimental!!!!!! But everytime my eyes fall on the ramblings of a 12 yr.-old Matthew or a 19 yr.-old Zach, I'm set adrift in a sea of memories dear to my heart. It was there that you gave brief summaries of the year, wrote your Christmas Lists and left paw prints (I'm thinking Faith drew that one from memory and not that she finageled Barnaby up the ladder to leave his mark.) and wrote to not-yet-present wives and children. Honest to goodness, if we ever sell this house, I WILL dismantle the walls and the ceiling of the Hidey Hole! I thought you might enjoy reviewing a few of the entries too. Has anybody found a place in their homes for children to record their lives once a year? It just seems there was something "magical" about that little closet.

10 Comments:

Blogger  Larky Park said...

love.

1/8/11, 6:36 PM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

Apparently the red marker weilder forgot that I was a part of the family and only added me in when the dog was added.
McDonald's, all over again.

1/9/11, 3:06 PM  
Blogger mummers said...

It's not McDonalds all over again! I had an inscription by each of you (except Beth who must have been off traveling the world during those years) but the site would only allow me to add 4 pics...what the???? Anyway, will add yours today, okay? Don't want you to have to go through Sozo over the omission......

1/10/11, 7:43 AM  
Anonymous chad said...

this is so great! thanks for posting this!

1/10/11, 10:02 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

SO cool.

1/10/11, 1:19 PM  
Anonymous guesswho said...

I must be aging. Not a single closet joke.

1/12/11, 8:34 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

The Christmas Closet is so sacred a tradition it is immune to closet jokes.....

1/12/11, 7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mystery poster again.

1/15/11, 12:01 PM  
Anonymous erstwhile chnkl said...

Not that mysterious. I've never done it before, so it can't be again. In a split second of early morning, whim takes over and ... well, nothing much happens. 'Twas I, the erstwhile chunkle who said "guess who."

1/16/11, 9:13 AM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

No Mom, look closely at the family member lineup post.
And I'm laughing, not crying about it! :)

1/19/11, 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home