CNN Special
Hey fam, there is a series on CNN that we are going to be watching, and wanting to let you know about it in case you want to watch it too. We could chat our thoughts. I have no idea what it is going to be like, good, bad, ugly. Ha ha. It is called "God's Warriors", and is a 3 night series on Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. It starts tonight here in Turkey, but in America I think it started last night. But you could catch it tonight! Do you all even get CNN? Do you get it in Germany too?
Here is the link to check it out:
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/gods.warriors/
laura
Here is the link to check it out:
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/gods.warriors/
laura

25 Comments:
We don't have cable here. ): But would still love to hear what it was about, their approach, info, etc.
we dont have cable either
We're cable-riffic. Levi's at a Packers game tonight but I'll try to catch it!
Unfourtunetly Marissa's parents don't have cable either. Hell, I'm glad they have a TV at all! That being said, most programs consist of some 18 year old dressed up in a traditional folk costume lip-sinking to a group of old people with some sort of mountain sceanery in the background. Great; geriactric MTV.
matthew, you are alive! i was starting to wonder! sorry to hear that most of you cannot watch. i've watched the 1st two on judaism and islam. very good info. wow. the world is crazy. since being here in turkey my worldview is starting to change, aahhhhhh, my comfortable small box that God is in is being crushed!! Eek! i'm going to give myself more like 2 years here instead of 4 months to make another box to put God in. don't want to create any rash belief systems.
laura
Laura, don't tease us! What's happening to your worldview, girl? Details, I'm into the details.
Nothing like moving to another country to put the smackdown on your world view.
Yeah, seriously!
Gosh, I'm not even ready yet to commit my dangerous thoughts in cyberspace, typing them out makes them feel so permanent. Don't worry, I still believe in God ha ha.
One thing for me that is starting to change, I don't KNOW yet but am thinking that politics and religion should not mix. There has to be freedom for the individual. As a christian we of course don't mind having a christian leader, but if it were another religious leader, we would hate it. But it has to be fair. I see here how religion runs politics and it is a dangerous thing. I think the church should keep politics out of their sermons, out of their agendas. Okay, I am just still thinking here, no commitments yet! Don't start a huge debate!
And, my thoughts on how much is God's sovereignty and how much is man's will and result of choices are lack thereof,,,wow, not sure where that is going...
And, hhmm...I'm starting to think that it is much more honorable if all women wore head coverings...don't know why.....
JUST KIDDING!
laura
How religion runs politics? Doesn't Turkey claim to be a secular state? (Much more so than Germany or the U.S., at least?) Sounds like you are not too fond of their new president. Am I right?
Laura, your thoughts are so interesting. I would like to talk to you about everything.
My move to the U.S has also changed my view on Germany so much - but that's a whole different topic.
Matthew, I am only glad that my parents can't read this blog.
This is fantastic- I've been reading the Economist- very interesting reveiws on world events. What do you feel are the people's opinions on the AK and CHP parties? And I think it's healthy although admittedly uncomfortable and often scary to revise what you think and why. It's good to begin to see the other side of things, it challanges what we believe just because someone told us too.
Laura, I am SO impressed.
Zach here.
So the political situation here is SO interesting. It is not anything like the US, how there are 2 main parties and you know where they stand. Here, it's all over the place.
The current administration is an Islamic Party and they how more than the majority of the seats in Parliament. But, they have certain values that make them seem more secular than the secular parties.
Like, they are all about joining the E.U. which means changing a lot of laws based in Islam, and making them more secular.
Then, they are anti-corruption which has been a major problem in the past with the secular parties.
Then, one of their main goals is to see the per family income go from $5,000-$10,000 over this next 5 years.
They are a very strong party and they are not rooted in the past. They have a vision for the future, which is very unique for Turks. Turks seem to be stuck in the past. They are very suspicious of new things, new ideas, new businesses, new laws.
Personally, I like Erdogan who is the president, who is Islamic, who really holds the true power in this country. As far as Abdullah Gul for president, there are really no other options.
I don't think we really care though. The main people who care are the secular women in this country who don't want to be forced to wear head scarfs.
So, even though this gives the Islamic Party a ton of power, I don't really feel that the Islamic Party is that Islamic.
Yea, Turkish politics, a bit crazy and almost contradictory at times
zach
Can you clarify the paragraph about who's presidint? It's Gül, right?
Laura, I know what you mean about religion and politics mixing it up. It seems you should just "be" who you are in the venue you have and not have to refer everything back to the Religious Label. What you believe about God will affect what you believe about other things but we're not all cookie cutter cut-outs! The Rep. Party is not the only residence of people who love J! Somebody asked a question on the blog about voting for the personal views of a man or for a man who will represent our views(I wonder if there even are such folk who would chose to represent the people if it meant a challenge to their own slant) Is it because so much has changed in re: to moral issues that this is even a problem? Help me out here.
I've been pondering the same stuff. I think some folks have pulled the "jesus card" for votes. Maybe even with the right heart of believing their agenda would better lives. Why not just live a Christ-like life? Why not truly do the hard work and leave the angles alone? The ethnic angle, the abortion angle, the blah blah. I get platforms, but I want vision.
Matthew,
yea Gul is now president. He just got voted in. The parliament voted 3 times. The 3rd vote he only needed a majority of the votes instead of 2/3rd's. That's how he made it at the end.
A new day in Turkey.
I read this article in the newspaper the other day about the whole situation It was really interesting.
Marissa- I'd love to hear how your veiws on Germany changed- do tell!
Well, before my move to the U.S., I was happy to leave a place that didn't seem to offer me much future.
Just a normal country, not better or worse than any other. Germany was never special to me in any way.
I have changed. Now I am proud to be German and I love my country: the mentality, the moral standards, the landscape, the system of education, and, most of all - the language. The language has grown so dear to me!
In Germany, everybody who is smart is a left-winged internationalist.
I want to be able to be conservative (by that I mean: maintain typical German values) without being looked down upon.
Yeah, I can see how experiencing the U.S. would give one from another country more national pride. I'm trying to remember the last time I felt any of that. Have I mentioned that I think "patriotism" is the wedge used to get young people to go die for foggy reasons?
And I do not think patriotism and national pride are one in the same.
What's the difference between nationalism and national pride? Seems like you're saying n.p. is the healthy version.
Would the world be a better place without patriotism?
I think its when we use patriotism as a deceitful blanket to cover nationalism that we get into trouble. Are we allowed to have a different opinion than the president? Right now it's widely accepted to have an opposing view but in the early days there were some of us being crucified for the very same stance. This is just a small example of the imbalance that I see but it does erode my personal sense of national pride. There are things to be proud of here when I look around it's just when the government comes into play that I start feeling uneasy. So I guess I'm very proud to be an american just not proud of my government.
all those words are slipping through my fingers. what are we talking about? (nationalism, patriotism, national pride)
I have a bit different veiw I guess. I like America, like living here. Like what we DO have. I don't think a country is always defined by it's president. Yes the office affects both us and the world around us, but it doesn't define us. Look at South America, or just Mexico. A long, long, long list of corrupt presidents, adn yet it doesn't define the country as corrupt and evil. I am proud of America despite bad choices, bad foreign politics etc. because what is left when you look beyond that is good, even great. Our media is doing noone any favors as far as presenting anything positive in our government. I hate that. I KNOW there is a balance and I don't like being fed one side only. EVERY country has it's good and bad, why do we think the US should only be good? And what would good look like? Like what you think or I think or our allies think or what?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home