Why? Why? Why?
In my recent beach adventures in Turkey and Bulgaria, I have found something quite arresting to my American experience. As these areas are the highlight for European travelers, I was forced to experience seeing all types of men in tight, tiny little speedos and women topless and wearing hardly anything below! Now, I realize different cultures have different norms, but wow. Can't the human body be more attractive by covering up at times? Especially when you look like this guy in the left of this picture? (which I took accidentally I swear!) Is NOTHING sacred anymore? ha ha! Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this European tradition......
laura

12 Comments:
Yah. The ol banana sling has never been an attraction. I like a bit of coverage. A wise high-school spanish teacher once told me that a woman's skirt should be like a good book; Long enough to cover the topic but short enough to keep it interesting.
That being said, Americans are the most body-concious folks. Very concerned about uber-coverage as it somehow equals supreme modesty. Personally I think much of it is tied into fear and body-hate. Not that we're going into hooker zone, but if I see one more large busted woman in a high round neck t-shirt, I'm going to scream! V-necks, people, v-necks!! Women just started wearing non-tent maternity clothing in the 5 years before I was prego. C'mon!!! Europeans were WAY ahead of the curve there. ANd the unhealthy anorexia or overweight extremes... maybe if we just loved our thighs a little and ate a little healthier (and less) there wouldn't be such crazy extremes. Understand, I'm not going full Carnivale' here - but maybe loosening the laces of coverage some.
Whew! I think I'm getting dizzy on my soapbox and need to get down... ;)
Upon further thought, this will exclude the Britney and clubberkids.
Laura, do not hesitate to go to those beaches. The more you expose yourself to the rest of the world (I'm sure you've noticed that it isn't Kansas anymore) the less big of a deal it will be. Try imagining the fat guy in the banana hammock as the poor overworked father of seven who is getting a much deserved moment in the sun. Perhaps he is the most loving father in the entire area, with years of successful child-raising under his belt.
Inside, more than outside.
i need a cold shower, thanks laura. :)
l.
I absolutely love it and would wear half as much at the beach if I wouldn't get stoned. The best thing about the picture is that the men are far from attractive but they are owning their bodies and aren't ashamed of their god given fat. I just realized it was zach in the background so i'll believe you that it was an accident. Is it me or is Uncle Dave taking in some sun as well?
At least they're wearing something at all. You give the Germans some sunshine and a stamp sized piece of greenery, they can't get naked fast enough.
Omigosh it IS Uncle Dave...
OK, so the weird thing is that now with being in WI (the large white north) those fellas looked pretty fit. AM I crazy?
The man in the forefront -IS it a man? Is wearing some seriusly floral feminine bikini brief short not brazilian bathing underthings...is that a beefy gal going topless? what is the story there?
beth if thats a "beefy gal" that would be scary-- given the short hair, hairy arm, giant hands, and bald spot
also, not only is it uncle dave, its uncle dave in A BIKINI
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I wish I could answer this desperate question of the floral bikini brief balding hairy armed manwoman......but I don't remember! I THINK it is a woman, because there was a lady in front of us topless all day. But I don't remember a balding spot!
laura
Let me clear this all up. Yes, it was a woman. She was a beefy mass where all the flesh just seemed to combine into one massive mass.
I'm still trying to get the image out of my mind.
zach
I'm wetting my Depends...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home