Saturday, July 21, 2007

THE BIRTHDAY BOY

Family - just who is this mysterious "Birthday Boy"? He has been quoted as saying, "...for the longest time I didn't eat anything with the sound of 'am' in the name." and "You certainly have the stubble for stardom." Are we ringing any bells yet? Well, he goes by many alias: uncle stinko, chunkle rick, carbuncle, dr. carbunclestein (referencing his German roots), carbuncle b. demille, shri carbuncle, art carbuncle, carchunkle, carbuncle tio, barcuncle, carbunclian uncle, u-rick, buncle de car (a wish for French roots?), uncle-san, and of course, carb-junkle. Yes, today is the day - just 53 short years ago when the world welcomed my little brother into LIFE! He was just so darn cute! Tow-headed and sweet. Now he's dark, alto and muy guapo (guapo, not guano...) with a sense of humor that helps take the harsh edge of the world. Happy, happy birthday Rick!!! Hope your day was filled with people who love you. We do and we wish we were celebrating with you in person. May God bless this next year of your life and draw you ever closer to His heart!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why thank you, thank you verra much. Haven't quite left the building just yet.
Feels like a turning point year, though the number 53 seems to hold no specific weight.
The day itself was no barn-burner. BR had to work a party in the afternoon/evening and I relaxed with a film from a favored book (books will ALWAYS be more satisfying than the film) and the first season of a decidedly outrageous animated series. I retired before finishing the last, as leftover needs for sleep demanded horizontality. (Yes, it's new, and you can use it for free.)
Night before we attended a live radio show taping followed by cake and somnambulance. At 2am last night, I sang out the window to the noisy neighbors that they needed to clam up so I could get back to sleep.
I think it's official. Although this is not the turning point I had in mind.
I am impressed with the record of aliases. I shall try to carry on.

7/22/07, 7:33 AM  
Blogger Zach & Laura said...

Straight from Bulgaria Happy Happy Birthday.

You are the best Uncle ever (in Oregon) :)

7/23/07, 2:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what's the book? do tell!
Love you URick.... I have really enjoyed getting to know you better through the blog. Your perspective is always thought provoking. what a wonder technology has brought us closer together. I am so grateful for that! I'm glad you are a part of us. Happy 53rd!
love love

7/23/07, 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right. And this is what it feels like to hang your butt out the window over by the bb gun store.
"The Way of the Peaceful Warrior," by Dan Millman.
Commence firing.

7/24/07, 7:50 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

Okay, how did this posting about how much we love you end up with you in front of the firing squad? Really, Rick, you and BR are LOVED... nothing you read is gonna change that, okay?????

7/24/07, 10:12 AM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

except maybe the classic "knitting with your pet's hair."

We do love you. Hap Hap Happy birthday to you!

Belated now.

Dangit!

7/24/07, 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would recommend the book "LOSE WEIGHT! GET LAID! FIND GOD!" by Benrik. This book will be especially helpful if your searching for direction in this stage of your life. It conveniently plans your life from 0-100. According to the book at 53 you should be developing an unhealthy addiction to golf. If you're wondering about what next year holds the book says you will be joining alcoholics anonymous to finally overcome your addiction to the bottle. I'm currently in the year that says I can waste my life which is great.

7/24/07, 6:27 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag! I'm currently writing to you from the only wifi spot in the village: a truckstop called something like "Schitzelhof". We wish you a great year filled with lots of creativity and inspiration.
Much Love
M&M

7/25/07, 5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess I'm ahead of the curve, Nat. Last night's fall into the pile of booze bottles in the living room brought about an epiphany or two. For one, I was going to need a lot of type 'O', and fast. And B, I should probably lay off the sauce. So, I'm switching to beer on my Cheerios this morning, even though single malt brings out their flavor so much better. It's a big step, I know, but the tremors should subside by August.
If all goes well, I should be completely dry by St. Lohan's Day.

7/25/07, 6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, sure that's not Schitzelkopf?

7/25/07, 6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the important thing is that you've recognized the issue and are doing something about it. To be honest with you I'm a little more concerned with this golf thing. Have you been trolling the internet searching for the latest golf fashions. I won't judge you for it I just want you to know I'm here for you if you need someone to talk to.

7/27/07, 12:37 AM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

Uncle Ricardo - You are the Schitzel!

7/27/07, 6:03 AM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

I saw some leoperd colored golf covers.......

7/27/07, 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, Nat (or is it 'Nath?') we try not to use the "g" word around here. My rationalization is that it's at least disc golf and not the dreaded "ball golf." Knickers and plaid pants and cleats, oh my!

7/28/07, 5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home