Wednesday, June 18, 2008

FI - NAA - LEE! Shaaa-lalalalalalala...

So: Who saw the game? Matthew and I decided to watch it in a little neighborhood pub as our computer is sick and didn't feel so well last night. I've never seen that place so full! Our ears are still ringing. Turkey played relatively well - but the Germans won, of course. ha ha No, seriously: They seemed like two equal teams to me, or? Chad and Holly, I wish you could see how patriotism is slowly coming back over here. It is beautiful. And I am glad I don't have to go into work today.

19 Comments:

Blogger mummers said...

Yes! I read it in the newspaper and actually understood the headline! Go Germany!!!!!

6/19/08, 8:21 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

UPDATE:
Germany beat Portugal yesterday and is now in the final four.

6/20/08, 5:28 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

Ummm-your fingernails are oh so patriotic, Marissa...flying your own personal little flag - I knew soccer would bring the colors back!

6/20/08, 6:10 AM  
Blogger Zach & Laura said...

UPDATE: TURKEY is also in the final four. This means war. Bring it Germany, bring it. GO Turkey!
laura

6/20/08, 7:38 PM  
Blogger Zach & Laura said...

I just read that Turkey and Germany will play each other this next Wednesday. EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH. Now, seeing that we are all family, no one should take anyone's sides(unless you take ours :). I know Marissa being Germany by blood probably trumps us just living in Turkey anyhow. But it is bound to be a good game. And, I have to root for my new country. Marissa and Matthew, wish we could watch it together!
laura

6/20/08, 7:54 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

Turkey is a strong team. But come on! Last night was just luck. Did I tell you that I started working as a social worker/after school tutor at an inner city school with more than 50% Turkish students? I am not looking forward to going there next Wednesday...

6/21/08, 1:40 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

Marissa ... does fingernail polish come in the colors of the Turkish flag?

6/22/08, 12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw little stickers for fingernails with flags available at the drug store. However, I would rather do an all-red nail and then use Sally Hanson's French Manicure "nail tip white" for the star and half moon.
People shouting "Türkiye" is what we hear all night long these days in our neighborhood. That is funny because most Germans (after a won game) just clap their hands and go to bed.

6/22/08, 5:34 AM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

So what happened? Who won? Is it over?
Dang, I hate being lost in the boondocks when these important matters are being decided.


Have we voted on a president yet?

6/22/08, 5:14 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

UPDATE (Monday): Italy is out! Here are the 4 European teams that are still in:
Germany
Russia
Spain
Turkey

I wonder what the Spanish do for their manicures...the little emblem should be hard to paint.

6/23/08, 7:14 AM  
Blogger Marissa said...

Americans don't really vote for their presidents, or? It always just happens...

6/23/08, 7:16 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

Oh no, Girl, we go to the polls - we punch our tickets (even more vigorously since the "chads" incident) and for better or for worse we live with the outcome of our balloting....

6/23/08, 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how can we watch this stateside? is it anywhere available online?

6/23/08, 3:38 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

Should work with the following link:
http://sport.ard.de/euro2008/euro_live/livestreams/index.jsp
Then click on "Halbfinale: Deutschland-Türkei".
It should be on at 1:45 p.m. Chicago time.

6/23/08, 11:51 PM  
Blogger levi fuson said...

chad if you have the espn channels they are on espn 2 or espn deportes (if you speak spanish)

i was going to say some smart a!@ facist american remark about lawn fairies but i couldn't do it, as i also enjoy watching soccer.

l.

6/24/08, 8:40 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

Bummer! I thought it said 7:45, not 1:45. Missed the whole thing! Heard Turkey was even ahead at one point but just couldn't keep Germany down. Congratulations to my German kids and Commiseration to my Turkish ones! On to the Finals!

6/26/08, 6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here are some highlights from the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe9UiuJm604&hl=en

6/26/08, 8:26 AM  
Blogger Zach & Laura said...

Dude, Turkey put up a good fight. I was surprised they went so far. I think if they didn't have 9 starters out they would have been better. Did I forget to mention that they had 9 starters out, not 5, not 7, not even 8, but 9. :)
z

6/28/08, 12:43 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Germany lost to Spain 0:1. So sad.

6/30/08, 5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home