family reunion meal list
I of course get tacos because it's the only fair thing. I could use some advice on feeding the children if any parents want to offer up.
Nathanael
Nathanael
A routing point for everything Balon related. THE BALON BLOGOSPHERE!!! (or kingston, kimball, fuson, schreiner... you get the picture)
26 Comments:
You can take up the method used most often by my mother-in-law: no matter what you serve, you can always shovel it into their little mouths using a large spoon. The technique is smillar to the one used in France for the fois gras geese.
Ok, here's what I'm thinking:
Breakfast- are we cooking this or just going for lots of fruit and cereal? I'm leaning towards the fruit and cereal aisle myself.
Lunch- Hotdogs? Brats? sandwiches? I'm not too sure on this one.
Dinner-
Casserole- chicken cheese and noodle schmutz.Salad. corn on the Cob. Was also thinking of beer chicken, where you grill the chicken on top of a can of beer. Has anyone tried this before? It would ensure us at least one good night of sleep for the kids!
Also, we should pick up enough paper plates, cups flatware etc. For the week. Also think about drinks.
nat
kids are easy. just feed them large amounts of sugar. they will eat and eat and eat, i mean really clean their plate....
course them you get to babysit them...
:)
on a more serious note... :) we are bringing a ton of mac & cheese hot dogs, things like that for just such an occasion.
levi
Just to chime in ... the beer chicken is AWESOME! I did six at once on our average size grill for a party and they rocked the house. Hardest part will be to get a volunteer to de-bone the chickens. I will say that our de-boner received high and constant accolades throughout the meal.
Just search beer chicken online. And don't fall for a fancy beer chicken rig. All you need is a chicken's butt and a half-empty beer can to stick up it. Or was it the neck? You'll find out.
Mom's going for lasagna, salad, bread and choco-frases (a.k.a. "The Mystery Dessert")
Now, about that Beer Chicken - do you de-bone AFTER grilling? Would there be a problem with just tearing it apart in large, unmanageable pieces and letting everyone "de-bone" it with their own teeth?
And Matthew, you have GOT to stop doing that to me --- the visual of the fois gras goose had me snorting and choking on my own spit trying not to wake up Matt E. who's home sick today ... give me a break!
Teeth work just fine. It was a party and we were just providing service for our guests. Legs and wings were left bone in for tradition.
Teeth work just fine. It was a party and we were just providing service for our guests. Legs and wings were left bone in for tradition.
Bro - this has nothing to do with beer chicken, but I just want you to know that I MISS YER MUG! I wish you were joining us in WI - we would laugh until milk ran out our noses!!!!
Sister Cindy is using Matt's computer - sorry.
I wish you were coming too.
Oh the memories we'd make! The alcohol we'd drink! The disgusting Cigars you and Levi would smoke on the porch, trapping the rest of us inside, playing cards on a sweltering summer night.....
I miss you even though the last time I saw you in person I think I was 8. I'm a lot less irritating now. I swear.
I think I'm going to go for the beer chicken, services not provided.
And is anyone else singing the Hallelujah chorus over Mom making lasagna? Just me?
Caleb eats whatever we put in front of him and you have to move fast cause it goes from tray to mouth pretty darn fast.
on a different note, Thomas will only eat if he's in a good mood.
so we'll have to make sure Thomas and Caleb are seated very far apart. CALEB NO STEALING MY BOYS FOOD JUST BECAUSE HE'S SLOW
its ok im sure afton will donate all of her food that she doesn't like. (which is pretty much everythign)
l.
Will somebody please bring a bag of those pink Wintergreen lozengers? In tribute to loved ones far away? I couldn't bear to think of a family reunion without them. Yes, this is posted under 'meals'.
I can't believe this topic hasn't even been broached yet except under the guise of the poor nieces and nephews. 10 lbs. of Brach's Mix? Oh that's for the kids...
Thanks for the "missing person" good wishes. Alas, my summer is over and I'm back at work in the art mines.
And, Seester, I no longer store milk in my nose, so, when the time comes, I'll try to have something colorful ready. Perhaps we could meet near an easel and do a bit of duet painting.
Faithala-beb, You really weren't THAT irritating, I don't care what anybody says.
So if i understand correctly I can bring a 10 lb. bag of brach's mix for the kids lunch which most of them won't eat due to fear, speed and other outside elements. What I have left over I can mix in with some mac and cheese to serve them for dinner. What they don't finish of that I'll have dad clean up like the old days, Got IT!
Were bringing lots of fresh chicken eggs!! Fried up with some bacon, mmmm.
Dinner is vegan. We have tons of soy flakes Ron that you'll LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!
Dad is bringing red cabbage with horseradish..he swears its really good!
I think all y'all can cook really swell and am totally looking forward to it! Faith can you make those enchiladas that were SSOOOO yummy?
Chad and Holly, you guys aren't still eating that 50lb. bag of soy paste are you?
I thought that was texturized vegtable protein....
I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to eat soy flakes as a pregnant woman.
Something about stunting the growth of the baby within.
I think that goes for red cabbage with horseradish as well.
The baby comes first you know.
allright guys.....
i am have the understanding that no onew ffrom our family has pasted our menu yet.
we are cooking.......
wait for it......
thats it.......
FOOD!
just kidding....
ok we are doing the full eggs, bacon toast stuff for breakfast, beer brats,chips,brownies for lunch.... and NORTH CAROLINA BBQ for dinner.
prepare to go to sleep that night in sheer blisss.....
I think for the late night snack we are having i hate Brett Favre sMores....
mmmmm
levi
Anybody still around? How about some day-to-day photos of the gathering?
Runclerick- No time for anything besides fixing food, eating food, cleaning up after food, cleaning up after children who have been eating food, cleaning up baby's bottoms who have been emptying the food into their diapers... get the drift? Oh, how it brings back the memories... but we are managing to take some pics (which probably won't make it to the blog before we all get home unless Nat is terribly bored ) But we all agree that we would have loved to have you & BR and Matthew and Marissa thrown into the mix with us. It has seen fluff sharing space with depth and we have so enjoyed ourselves!!!!! Love to our family not here!
Runclerick- No time for anything besides fixing food, eating food, cleaning up after food, cleaning up after children who have been eating food, cleaning up baby's bottoms who have been emptying the food into their diapers... get the drift? Oh, how it brings back the memories... but we are managing to take some pics (which probably won't make it to the blog before we all get home unless Nat is terribly bored ) But we all agree that we would have loved to have you & BR and Matthew and Marissa thrown into the mix with us. It has seen fluff sharing space with depth and we have so enjoyed ourselves!!!!! Love to our family not here!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home