Sunday, August 26, 2007

Black Forest - Schwarzwald

Last weekend, Matthew and I spent a couple of days in a friend's vacation home in the Black Forest. (That's about an hour and a half from home.) What a treat to take a deep breath and forget "the village" for a moment!
Matthew was able to get a job (starting next week) in the factory hall where I work. He therefore doesn't have to work for Volker any more, which makes things with my parents a little easier. (My Dad is not exactly easy to work with.) So we'll both be packing school + office supplies in paper boxes and get them ready for shipping. It's an O.K. job, but it's shift work. Other students are working summer jobs there, too, so it's kind of fun that way.
We are now staying at Volker's house for 2 weeks, since they are in Greece.

16 Comments:

Blogger Zach & Laura said...

That looks so beautiful. So why is it called the "Black" Forest? I can't help but think of Ankara as compared to the Black Forest.

It is a dry, arid, brown, somewhat hilly, populous city in the middle of nowhere. It's funny because everyone who lives in Ankara doesn't like living here. It's just that everywhere else in Turkey is so much more beautiful.

So we hope to get out of here asap, but I think it will be a while. I love Istanbul and look forward to the day that we will be there.

Anyway, throw me a line about the holidayz.

zman

8/26/07, 3:45 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Z-will do. They've just swithched Hotmail around so I haven't been able to send out e-mails for awhile but I think I 've got the hang of it now. By the way, all those wires in the background are from a ski lift which is used in the summer to cart people up to the mountain top restaurant where we were sitting. The black forest (we also did quite a bit of hiking) looks truly blue\black when viewed from a distance. It's the type of pine trees that grow there. It's also extremely dense. The trees grow so close together. Hence the name.

8/26/07, 5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, it's about time for some shots from the factory. Your photos project "permanent vacation" status. We need some grit for balance.

8/26/07, 6:48 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

We have our fair share of horror stories, the pictures just aren't as nice :)

8/27/07, 7:10 AM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

Thank God for transition. Whew. Packing boxes - speaking of school supplies - how are things in that direction? School prep going OK?

8/28/07, 7:25 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

School prep. is going well. I've been doing a lot of reading lately to hone my non-conversational German skills.

8/28/07, 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take me there sometime! Seeing where you guys have been makes me think my time there was really a blip to what is really in Germany. I didn't have Marissa to show me the sites!

I'm happy for the new job Matt. You struggled so long the last time you were there. This time is going quite differently. I'm glad to hear volker doesn't hate your guts for leaving him! :-) And that you have a little couple/fam time before school. Are you working separate shifts though?

9/4/07, 6:22 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

We're working the same shift so that's nice, otherwise we wouldn't see each other at all. We just have to finish out this week and next week and then we'll be done.

9/5/07, 4:51 AM  
Blogger Nathanael said...

is anyone else sitting here reading this in a speedo?

9/7/07, 9:00 AM  
Blogger Chaddo said...

nope, boxers here

9/9/07, 7:50 PM  
Blogger  Larky Park said...

Sweats...

9/10/07, 8:42 PM  
Blogger wyofaith said...

Dear God. First boat shoes and now speedos. Come back to us Nat.

9/11/07, 7:31 AM  
Blogger Nathanael said...

I've been pushed to my current state by the generosity of my younger brother and sister. It seems as though they feel I should be the one to start the stateside trend with the help of their birthday gift. It feels nice.

9/11/07, 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget to add the gut and the back hair.

9/13/07, 7:08 AM  
Blogger mummers said...

Which reminds me, I saw the hairest man I have ever seen at the Popcorn Festival! No kidding, it was like a furry mat sticking out of his tank top. You could have knit THREE sweaters out of his stash.

9/13/07, 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes

1/17/08, 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home