Monday, February 11, 2008



What's Matthew doing at school? Well, each semester we're required to earn a credit in a different workshop. There are all sorts of workshops at the Akademie from glass blowing to ceramics to photography to gold-smithing. In general, they're open to all students at all times regardless of what you're studying which is pretty cool. This is a project I did to earn my credit in the Plastics Workshop. When Nathanael visited over Christmas we toured some of the workshops and worked on this project together.

5 Comments:

Blogger mummers said...

So, Matthew, I can see that the broken plate was encased in plastic, but did you then place it in a translucent bowl or is that the finish on the outside edge? In the workshops is there basic instruction in the different media and then they cut you loose to create something wonderful?

2/11/08, 8:05 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

That's just the edge. It's like a big Hockey puck or disc in shape.

Normally you have to do a short intro course before you start something in the workshops. Each one has it's own "leader" who's there to help and give ideas. Frank who leads the plastics shop was really cool and showed me a lot.

2/11/08, 12:01 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

I would call this "Redemption" but what were your thoughts? Very interesting. CHad and I have both been wondering if you have to pay for supplies. He always did at Eastern Michigan.

2/11/08, 6:40 PM  
Blogger mummers said...

The name fits.

2/12/08, 3:23 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Some supplies we pay for and others we don't. There's no real rhyme or reason to it. For this project I had to pay for the plastic and the plastelyne (for the mold). It can get expensive if you're very ambitious.

2/13/08, 1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home