Friday, December 19, 2008

Kurban Bayram (Sacrifice Holiday)






So the country shuts down for this one week holiday, and therefore we don't have school or obligations. This year we went to Istanbul for a couple days (IKEA it was awesome!) and then we went on to stay with our friend's parents in a small village called Barbaros (these are our neighbors who we love so much). I got to experience Turkey somewhat village style. It was really good to be there. We had such interesting experiences!!!
laura
PIC DETAILS: The green things in the food pictures are wrapped grape leaves, with rice and spices inside. That was our breakfast table! And the water pic is the view from the apartment. And the one with the older lady is our neighbor Ali's Mother. The other one is Ali's nephews with Isabelle. They played so well with her!

4 Comments:

Blogger wyofaith said...

Wow!That's a breakfast table to get used to! Are those black olives in the bowl?
Your pictures are beautiful and it looks like you were relaxing and having a good time.

12/19/08, 7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that chocolate and marshmallow in a jar?!?! It's an ancient turkish tradition, I understand, dating back millenia.

12/19/08, 8:27 AM  
Blogger Zach & Laura said...

Yes, breakfast consists of olives, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, dried fruit, a soft cheese for the bread, nuts, and grape leaves. (oh and hard boiled eggs) That jar stuff is like nutella, it is a chocolate hazelnut spread and then plain hazelnut spread in a swirl-type fashion, and it is yummy. (They didn't have it out originally but I asked if they had some for my bread!) YUM.
laura

12/20/08, 11:37 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

What an excellent adventure! I love that view. I didn't picture Turkey looking like that for some reason. Is Isabel speaking more Turkish these days?

12/21/08, 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home