Hasta la Vista
Mums and Dad are heading south to Matzatlan on Thursday the 22nd and returning home on March 10. Place your orders now for sombreros, marachas and burros. (Burros must fit inside checked luggage.) Please pray that we won't burn in the sun, get sand in our shoes or forget our inflatables at the ocean. Yes, children, this mission stuff is not for the faint of heart. But, of course, you all know that ... Beth, lost in Romania - Holly, dreaded rash in South America - Zach, blisters in Nepal - Matthew, bad food in Paris and Levi has a strange story of Peru, no Chile? What's your fav adventure in another country?

9 Comments:
I'll just include myself here.
I can't really tell what my fave adventure might have been, but I do know that the first time I ever laid hands on a stone wall built by early Romans, I was forever connected to history and the wonder of travel.
Oh man, I saw Hadrian's wall in Scotland and that was a total mind tripper..... 'I am TOUCHING something a roman soldier touched'....
FUn FUn memories from other mission trips-
-eating salted fish and plantains for breakfast in Peru
-Climbing into a mini van stuffed with 30 very unwashed people in Africa.
-playing baseball with school kids in the mountains of Mexico- a dog ran off with second base (a used paper plate)
-dancing all night at a youth club in Glasgow.
Boy, I could go on and on. I have so many awesome, and not so awesome memories of different cultures and people and places.... Thank you Dad and Mom for encouraging us to go for it as far as misson trips and travel is concerned, my life is so rich from that.
Hang on, starting to tear up....
---a romanian handicapped orphan boy of whom i thought, "what's wrong with him?" and then i saw him walk away from the table with one leg...
----the other orphan whose voice i still hear saying, "don't forget me. don't forget me."
----the hour long walk in the snow for "fun" with our German school group.
----in germany, my albanian friend deep frying hotdogs and bologna for our serbian friend
I would have to say crashing my scooter in the middle of a Cambodian intersection and looking up to see 500 scooterists bearing down on me. I also remember the squid jerky.
I hate eggs. Never in my life have I been force fed eggs like in France. I still shudder when I accidentaly see a quiche somewhere...
Speaking of eggs - the good ol pizza in Romania with eggs on top. To an 18 yr old this = vomit on a plate. That and the "cured" wet bacon. Uncooked.
I remember the Romanian orphanages as well, the stench of urine and the pleading adorable brown eyes of one baby I held - the nurse told me the babies were only held once a day because of the severe understaffing.
Hanging out in an airport with Argentina's equivalent of General Colin Powell. Thank God he spoke english, I barely could.
Building a church in Zacatecas, Mexico. I loved the pure physicality of construction. Lots of street soccer and no showers. A bit gamey.
Dallas Texas - changed me forever though. I had spent the night on a floor literally moving with roaches, utterly self-obsorbed and grossed out. At breakfast I sat with a 10 yr old neighborhood boy and discovered he had never even HEARD of Jesus.
In Colombia I traveled by scary shaky chicken filled bus to a tropical paradaise. There are such crazy contrasts when you travel - the abject filthy, poverty into the mindblowing beauty - often within minutes... It's hard to take in. But there was a water park with CEMENT slides. 8 flights of stairs up gave the most stunning lush view of the jungle and then you could completely pumice your hiney on the way down.
OK my stories are a bit more superficial. My brain is a little fuzzy tonight.
PS I am the only one that gets lost everywhere she travels? EVERYwhere? I think it's half the fun. Did I tell ya the story where in 1 day I got lost on the streets of Atlanta, met a stunning flamenco dancer/Reporter on the streets of Atlanta, we broke into the new House of Blues, met an Ethiopian girl at the GAP, she offered me a black purse (the GAP had none) and dinner. We all ran back to her place for a great authentic meal ran around some more and then parted ways?
I remember the one mission trip to Mexico where all we did was dig holes. We dug one that was 15ft by 15ft by 10ft all by shovels. I threw my back out and laid the rest of the day on a concrete slab that was really dirty.
My fav adventure was probably in Nepal when I rode 12 hours on top of this crazy Nepali bus, because the inside was way too small and goats were peeing and pooping all over the inside of the bus. We would lay down on top of all the luggage and watch the beautiful countryside.
Jamaica was crazy. About 40 very ripe Jamaican's and our team was crowded in this dinky bus and it was filthy hot outside. It didn't take long for one of our team members to yack all over theplace. We were literally stacked in their like sardines and so a number of people got yacked on. They stopped the bus to clean up, but when they were outside they stepped in dog poop and brought that back onto the bus. THe rest of the trip,we all got to enjoy the wonderful smells of dog poop mixed with throw up. Good times!
one of my all time favs also involves poop. why is it that missions and poop go hand in hand?
I was in romania and everyone in our team of 20 people drank a strange romanian drink made from milk. we had to drink it to be polite to our hosts.
so we drank the wierdness and all hopped on an 8 hour train ride to another city.
we then realized that the drink was contaminated somehow and everyone had the squirts! the best part was sharing one tiny travel pack of kleenex between 20 squirty butts for 8 hours.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home